Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Oh, how I'm loving my new camera! Oh, how I'm hating the fact that I now have to load my photos two at a time. I post SO many photos on my blog that I feel like I spend all night uploading. The simple solution is to resize the photos, but thus far I've been too lazy. Therefore, I have no reason to complain. I'll stop now!
Southern Lights, at the Horse Park, is a family tradition for us. I think it started when Katie worked for the TV station in town and we were able to come for free. We used to meet at her house for a chili supper and then visit Southern Lights. That was back when we all fit in the same car. NOT the case anymore. This year, we never did get a chance to visit Southern Lights before Christmas, and then we had a problem eliciting interest to get anyone to join us after Christmas. One evening, a few days after Christmas, I was able to convince my mom to come with us and we took the kids to see the lights. At least OUR kids were excited to be there! We drove through several miles of light displays that the kids loved, then parked for the real reason we visit Southern Lights--the indoor activities.

THIS is what we came to see. The TRAINS! The local railroad club sets up a ton of model trains and I knew Tristan(and Maura) would just love it! And Tristan DID love it. He immediately tried to climb under that dinky little rope they had to keep the kids off the displays! Grammy helped out by giving him a better view. Bennett wasn't sure what to think of all the activity!

A momma and her sweet, sweet boy. He was REALLY not dressed appropriately for the weather. Every time we go, I forget til we get there that it's a rather long walk to get into the building. We froze on the way in!
Below: Maura and Tristan found a display that required a button push to make things move. Tristan was hooked. He's a champion button pusher!

I'm surprised we were ever able to tear him away from the buttons! Maura was even more interested in the miniatures. She loved the little dollhouses with all their beautiful furniture and details.

We braved the cold yet again to check out the petting zoo. They always have the best petting zoo I've ever seen. The variety of animals is really impressive at this petting zoo. They even had a baby zebra--so cute!!

Tristan and Maura loved the animals and really got a kick out of feeding them. We bought them the ice cream cones filled with animal feed that were devoured in five seconds flat. We quickly determined that the $3 cup of carrot sticks was the way to go. Never thought I'd say that $3 for a few carrot sticks was a good deal! Bennett LOVED watching all the animals. You could just see his little eyes moving back and forth as he took it all in. They had a wallaby at the petting zoo that he liked--he should, it was a Bennett's Wallaby!

We actually managed to pet the Bennett's Wallaby. He was really soft! That's the closest I've EVER gotten to a wallaby/kangaroo. So cool! We really enjoyed our trip to Southern Lights and loved continuing a family tradition.

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

I can definitely tell a difference in the pics with the new camera though - it's worth all the extra work! I've never had a problem uploading photos from my fancy camera. Maybe it's the difference between our Internet providers.